Zlatan Ibrahimovic's late header denied Liverpool a precious victory at Old Trafford as Manchester United rallied to force a 1-1 draw.

James Milner's first-half penalty looked set to give the Reds maximum points against their arch-rivals.

However, Ibrahimovic nodded in six minutes from time as Jurgen Klopp's side had to settle for a point which lifts them back into third spot in the Premier League table.

With Nathaniel Clyne ruled out with an abdominal injury, Trent Alexander-Arnold was handed his first Premier League start at right-back.

Captain Jordan Henderson returned from injury with Simon Mignolet and Divock Origi both earning recalls following the midweek EFL Cup defeat to Southampton.

During a frenetic opening spell Liverpool endured some nervy moments.

Dejan Lovren sold Mignolet short with a woeful backpass and the keeper's hurried clearance looped goalwards off Ibrahimovic but to the Reds' relief landed on the roof of the net.

Seconds later Henrikh Mkhitaryan's pass released Paul Pogba but he fired wastefully wide.

Liverpool settled and started to grow in confidence. They were gifted the lead on 27 minutes.

Pogba inexplicably handled from a corner and Milner kept his cool to slot home in front of the Stretford End.

United almost fashioned a quick response but Mignolet reacted brilliantly to keep out Zlatan Ibrahimovic's sweetly struck free-kick.

Pogba continued to be a weak link for the hosts and he was lucky to get away with grabbing Henderson by the throat and throwing him to the ground off the ball.

Five minutes before the break Mkhitaryan burst through but Mignolet came to the rescue once again.

Mourinho brought on Wayne Rooney for Michael Carrick at the start of the second half but Liverpool continued to frustrate United.

Origi's strike was deflected just wide before at the other end Mkhitaryan spurned another glorious chance.

Philippe Coutinho replaced Origi on the hour mark and soon teed up Firmino, who was denied by De Gea.

Mourinho turned to Juan Mata and then Marouane Fellaini but Liverpool defended brilliantly.

Rooney somehow escaped punishment for planting his studs on Milner's foot.

United looked to be running out of ideas but with six minutes to go they struck.

After Fellaini's header hit the post, Valencia crossed and Ibrahimovic nodded home.

Source: Liverpool Echo

This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.