Liverpool took part in one of the greatest games English football has ever seen 20 years ago today – and you can relive the drama all over again with our free video.

Stan Collymore was the hero on April 3, 1996 as his late goal saw the Reds edge out Kevin Keegan's Newcastle United 4-3 at Anfield.

Robbie Fowler opened the scoring in the second minute but the visitors responded strongly through Les Ferdinand and David Ginola to take the lead.

After the break, Fowler's second goal was quickly cancelled out by Faustino Asprilla before Collymore levelled with the sixth strike of the match.

But with both teams still fighting for the league title, a draw would not satisfy anyone and the sides wanted to take all three points.

And up stepped Collymore in the 90th minute with a clinical, near-post drive to break the hearts of the Magpies and send the Kop into delirium.

Elsewhere on this date in Liverpool FC history…


Ronnie Whelan had a dream Liverpool debut on this day in 1981. Just 27 minutes into his Anfield bow, the Irish midfielder opened the scoring in a 3-0 win over Stoke City.

Meanwhile, Phil Thompson made his first appearance for the Reds in a game against Manchester United back in 1972. The defender replaced John Toshack in the 81st minute, as Bill Shankly's side ran out 3-0 winners at Old Trafford.

Johnston joins...

Craig Johnston completed his move to Anfield on this day back in 1981. The Australian midfielder joined from Middlesbrough and would go on to make 271 appearances for Liverpool, scoring 40 goals in the process.

Gerrard's European record...

Steven Gerrard became the club's leading scorer in the European Cup during the 3-0 quarter-final win away at PSV Eindhoven in 2007.

The No.8 overtook Ian Rush in the standings by scoring his 15th goal in Europe's premier cup competition, after 27 minutes of the first-leg contest.

Rafa Benitez's side went on to add two more goals through John Arne Riise and Peter Crouch to all but seal their place in the Champions League semi-finals.

'Supersub' strikes again...

Liverpool left it very late in the Merseyside derby back in 1976 to keep alive their hopes of landing the league title.

Substitute David Fairclough struck just two minutes from time as the 19-year-old sprinted with possession before unleashing a low, angled shot.

Manager Bob Paisley, who made the decision to replace Toshack with Fairclough after 64 minutes, revealed he had confidence in the forward all along.

"I knew he'd scored," Paisley later said.