Southampton captain Jose Fonte is not a target for Liverpool in the January transfer window, according to Sky sources.
The Portuguese defender has been linked with a move to Anfield after handing in a transfer request at St Mary’s earlier in January.
However, Sky Sports News HQ has been told there is no interest in the centre back from Liverpool and he is not a target for Jurgen Klopp’s side ahead of their trip to Old Trafford to face Manchester United on Super Sunday.
Fonte, who has also been regularly linked with a move to Manchester United, was left out of Southampton’s squads for their FA Cup clash with Norwich, their EFL Cup semi-final with Liverpool and Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Burnley in the Premier League.
The 33-year-old, who has 18 months left on his current contract, handed in a transfer request earlier this month and claimed on social media in December that he had not rejected a new deal but said he was told he would not be offered fresh terms by the Saints.
Fonte has made more than 250 appearances for Southampton since arriving from Crystal Palace in 2010.
Source: Sky Sports
This story has been reproduced from today's media. It does not necessarily represent the position of Liverpool Football Club.